Tuesday, March 31, 2009


Here's one that I started yesterday (3/30/09).
I was pretty happy with the basic forms and values, and I saw some potential for a decent little painting. It's an image that I've been wanting to paint for quite a while now, and I was glad to see it coming together.
But I was having a bit of difficulty with it.
It's acrylic on a 12X12" piece of gessoed Masonite, which is fine.
But I was having issues with "brush drag" while painting it.
My brushes felt like they were sort of sticking to the surface, and it was driving me crazy.
I determined that the water-based gesso had raised the "grain" of the wood, and it was like painting on sandpaper.
So, tonight I sanded the painting with medium grit paper.
Not so much that it obliterated the image altogether, but it did knock it back some.
Then I layed on a thick coat of acrylic gloss medium, let it dry, and sanded it again.
When I started applying another layer of paint, it was like night and day.
The paint went on just as smooth and clean as you please.
It was a real pleasure to paint on!
I don't have a photo yet, but I'll try to get one posted tomorrow.
If you're an acrylic painter you've just got to try this.
It's a real treat.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dean H. said...

That sounds like a great tip, Steve. Will have to try it if I get back to acrylics once more.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home